Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Overcoming

Today I made another realization of a fear I knew I already had, but was manifested again profusely. I work on the third floor of a building. I take the stairs everyday and only in very rare occasions do I take the elevator such as to help a patient down to their car. In all actuality, there is also a basement level which I can never quite remember where the door is to get to it because I use it so rarely. It is a parking level. Well the Doctor had left something in his car and so I was going to go get it. I decided on the elevator down because again I don't remember where the door is for the basement level and the stairs are kind of creepy that far down. So I pushed the button for the elevator. People got off and I got on by myself. The doors closed and there I stood waiting for it to move feeling a cold panic begin to grow. I do not like closed in spaces I cannot escape from. I slowly began my decent (this elevator is not the most reliant) hearing creaks and noises the whole way down. At the bottom, the doors did open and I made it out okay, but took the stairs back up to the top. Not even considering chancing it.

Why am I writing about this you may ask? Well in a few days I will be in New York City. While in New York, I will be entering the largest and highest elevator I have and probably will ever ride. The Empire State building. Now I guess this little experience with the elevator hopefully won't be a sign of things to come in my reaction area. In the area of everything being okay I am sure it will be. I have been told by quite a few people that it goes extremely fast and you are at the top before you know it. Just the thought of it kind of scares me. I would consider the stairs, but thats a whole lot of stairs and we are on a limited time budget. Oh well wish me luck!!!

6 comments:

ShellBell said...

In New York you will be with friends as you enter the elevator. It is important to remember that. I am so excited and nervous too.

Cardine said...

Yes. If you happen to get stuck in the New York elevator, you will be with friends, so you know you won't starve. You can always eat them.

Cardine said...

Yes, I am a geek. :)

warnser said...

Cardine, that's funny.

Ok so here are my thoughts on getting stuck in elevators.

It's really no big deal. I mean I've done it, and I turned out ok.

Seriously though the elevators you're using are some of the best in the world, and they would know if you got stuck.

In Greece, you could be stuck in one for days, and no one would know. Also it may not seem like a good thing but trust me, you'll be glad it has four walls, a lot of the elevators in Greece don't.
Anyway good luck and enjoy everything, you've got a chance to see.

JanD said...

I hope you are enjoying each and every elevator moment!

Melissa Monday said...

That's pretty funny--to me, right? It sounds like things turned out okay with the elevators after all. I am excited to hear about the Empire State Building.