Saturday, January 24, 2009

Being a lefty

Lefty: a person, who uses their left hand more than their right.
Okay first off I might better let you know, I am not a complete lefty. This may or may not have something to do with it, but when I was younger and started doing anything with my left hand, my dad would tell me not to until my mom told him to leave me alone. He is very right handed and knows how right handed the world is. He was just trying to help, but I wonder if I would be more left handed it that hadn't happened. I am a little more Ambidextrous than left handed though. And yet, I probably am not considered that either as the definition of it is the state of being equally adept in the use of both right and left appendages (such as the hands). But yet I am not considered a righty either being that the definition of that is being right handed. Hmmm. What exactly am I then. I use my left for a great many thing such as writing but I cannot write with my right hand. Yet I use my right for a great many things also including sports which I most definitely can't use my left for. There are somethings I can do both with such as when I was in hair school and rolling a perm on a mannequin, I was able to roll it both ways. When you look at the definition of ambidextrous, it doesn't really define me either. Maybe there needs to be a new definition that will work for me. Hmm good thought. Anyway sorry to get off on that. The real reason for this blog is the pros and cons of being left handed.

As I am sure some of you are aware, there can be benefits, but there are also some not so fun aspects of being left handed. Heres my list. There are probably more cons than pros, but still being left handed can be kind of cool. These are the ones I could think of and maybe I will update them later if more thoughts or things happen to make me remember more. Enjoy!

Pro
1. You have an excuse to sit on the outside left side of an table (who wants to bump elbows while writing or eating) unless your with a room of lefties then it you can sit where ever you want.
2. Baseball. Everyone loves a lefty hitter.
3. Left handed people use their right minds more so I guess that means we are the sane ones of the bunch if we are in our right minds.
4. You get to be different from others because you are left handed.
5. Scientists have found we lefties often have the upper hand in combat.

6. When you see another lefty you instantly feel a kinship with them.

Con
1. This world is a right handed world.
2. You can't sit in the middle unless you are with a bunch of left handed people.
3. The old desks they use to have and sometimes still do that had a little bit on the right side and none on the left. What were they thinking?
4. Writing in pencil or wet ink. Why did we ever starting writing left to right instead of right to left? Just look at my hand when I am done.
5. Dry erase boards are pretty much impossible. At least I find them difficult.
6. Though this isn't a problem for me, a lot of lefties find a computer mouse hard and need it on the other side which it never is.
7. Scissors. Though again I have always used my right hand for this because they never had left.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lefty is the only way to go. I love my left, but then again, it does have it's many disadvantages. You always did get to sit by your Dad though. :)

Cardine said...

I have a wireless mouse on my computer. Maybe that helps? You could put it where ever you wanted if you got a wireless one.

Melissa Monday said...

I do think that someone needs to come up with a category for you, although they should take into account than just handedness. You're one in a million. I think you're pretty special!

Miranda said...

We are in the same none-existent category of ambi-handedness. I love being able to switch hands when I do my mascara.
Kinship!!