Sunday, November 2, 2008

Navigating New York (part 3)

Sunday morning we woke up and got ready for church. We decided to leave a little early since we didn’t know exactly where the church was.


We made it though 30 mins early. We talked to a few people then when to sacrament meeting. After which we went back to our hotel to change. Our next goal was the Manhattan temple. We boarded the subway but when we neared the exit by the temple, it didn’t stop. It didn’t even slow down. So we got out on the next stop and made your way back down to the temple.


Its weird because it is suddenly just there in the middle of New York City with people hustling about their lives around it. We took a few pictures there then decided to see a few museums.

We when to the museum of Natural history on the west side of Central Park.


We then cut across central park following a path we hoped would take us to the other side. It was so beautiful there. I could have stayed there a lot longer, but we didn’t have much time where everything closed at 5:30.

We got the museum just 15 minutes before it was closing so we didn’t get to see much. We then walked up to the Guggenheim museum, but it was also closed.

We stuck around there for a little while just enjoying the city and then headed back to the hotel for Miranda and Christina to get ready for the play they were going to that night.

Michelle and I were not attending another play so we decided to head down to Times square again to see it one more time at night. It is a site to see.

I highly recommend it. We took pictures on the red stairs they had just opened one of the nights we were there. It was fun we just enjoyed the sites. We went back to the hotel because we were tired again that night.

We had walked a long way that day and even though it was our last night there, I just wanted to relax. Miranda and Christina came back later and then we all just went to bed.
Our final day started early for me. I had packed all my stuff the night before because we had planned to check out of the hotel and leave all our stuff at the front so we didn’t have to take it everywhere with us before we headed back to the airport. Since our hotel was hooked to Grand Central we would be able to just catch the subway right there. Well we had forgot to shut the blind in our room so I work up with the sun which rises quite early in New York. I got ready and everyone was still asleep so I decided to take a walk in New York.

I got outside and it had turned kind of cold so I was glad I had my coat. As I was walking I saw and starbucks and decided to get a Hot Chocolate for my walk. After my purchase, I was on my way. I walked up 42nd until I got to 5th. We had gone south on 5th to get to the Empire state building so decided to go north. It was fun to just get out and walk and see early morning New York. I walked up to where they were shooting the Today show again, but didn’t get to close this time. Then I walked back not wanting to be gone too long in case they were up and ready to go.
When I got back to the hotel everyone was pretty much ready. We made sure we had everything then took our bags down to the front desk. I wanted to take a picture of me having breakfast at Tiffanys so we headed that direction. We found a FAO toy store on the way and decided to come back when we were done. We found Tiffanys but it didn’t open until 10:00. Trump tower is next to it so we went in there and saw they had breakfast so we went and got something.

We then went up and took pictures of us having breakfast in front of the Tiffanys sign. It was fun. We went back to the toy store next. It was the biggest toy store I had ever seen. At the door a guy dressed as a toy soldier held the door for you.



They had stuffed dinosaurs and a huge dragon that was regularly priced at $5000, but was on sale for $2500. We were tempted but how would we have got it home. We then went to Macys where I found 2 pairs of shoes and a wooden escalator.

It was cool. Then we kind of split up with Miranda and Christina going one way and Michelle and I going another. We shopped at a few more stores along the way. We also stopped at the library and took a picture in front of a lion.

We had some time so we decided to go inside. It was beautiful. I wished we would have had more time because I would have like to look some more.

We then went to Grand Central Station because they had an eating place there. There were so many choices of different cuisines that it took awhile before I could decided where to eat. I chose Chinese, but didn’t like it all that much.

We met back at our hotel and picked up our luggage. I then had to figure out how to pack in all the things I had just bought, into an already packed suitcase. It was fun.
We rode the subway and airbus back to JFK airport.

It wasn’t bad at all. We then went and waited for our planes. Christina’s came first. We said goodbye and then ours went about a half hour later.

The plane ride back was okay but both Miranda and I got sick on it. I don’t know if it was turbulent or what but I sure was glad when we landed and were no longer in the air. Miranda’s brother met us at the airport. We took him back to his house then were on our way back to Cedar. In some ways that was the longest trip of my life. Partially because I was so tired. The last 15 minutes before we got home were the longest 15 minutes of my life. I was so tired. It was fun talking to Miranda though.

All in all it was very fun and I most definitely would not be opposed to returning to New York City one day.

1 comment:

Melissa Monday said...

So how did I miss this. I enjoyed reading it very much. I bet it was fun to get up on Monday morning and see the hustle and bustle of the city (although I'm not sure how smart it was to go all by yourself). I'm so glad that you had a nice time and hopefully next time you go, I can meet you there. Did you know it's only about 7 hours away from here in a car. If I'd known while you were there, I may have just joined you. Oh well, at least I know now.