Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Caroling Caroling through the snow.....

I love caroling. Just as I said I love Christmas music, I love going around to peoples houses especially the elderly and bringing a little bit of joy to them. Growing up my Grandparents lived right next to me and every year at Christmas time we would go caroling and the first place, or last place would always be there. My Grandma loved it so much. I remember her sitting there listening and when we would finish a song she would ask for more. There were a couple widowed sisters we would also go to and they would come to the door and their eyes would just light up when they saw us.

Well this year I was privileged to be able to go twice. Once here and once at home. My sister planned a bunch of people to get together and go caroling on our street. There are quite a few older people here who I had never met. They were so cute. We would sing a song and then they would want us to come in and sing which we would. In the process we got to know our neighbors a little and we also got to share some Christmas joy with them.

I also got the opportunity to carol at home. Again Laura came with me as well as my mom and 2 of my friends. It was a small group, but oh so fun. We walked and the roads were quite icy so we linked arms to help each other from falling. We went to some of the elderly around town a couple of my aunts and uncles included. Though it was really cold outside and some had braved deery roads to get there, I think we all had a great time.

6 comments:

Cardine said...

It sounds like it was fun! By the way, I got stuck last night, too!

JanD said...

Super fun! I think it is amazing how such a simple and old tradition can bring so much joy to those who can't get out of their homes easily.
What an awesome way to spend your time!

warnser said...

You should have told me about the caroling on your street, I love the old people over there. In fact my mom just volunteered me to play games with any of them (she was tired of losing Ü). Actually I was super busy before Christmas (which is highly usual) so I may not have been able to go, but there are some cool old people in you neighborhood.

Ü

Emily said...

Cardine it was so fun.
JanD I am so glad you could come it was great.
Warnser I was going to invite you but it was a monday and you tend to busy on that day so sorry it would have been fun to have you there. What games are you being volunteered to play? There are some really nice older people on my street I will completely agree.

PiepersRus said...

Em- I miss ya so much. It's fun to see your blog and all that you are doing in life. Hop you are doing well and hope to be able to see ya sometime. Brooke

Emily said...

Brooke,
I miss you too. I can't believe its been basically 4 years since I have seen you. Your kids are so cute. You need to let me know when you are in Cedar sometimes so we can do lunch or just get together or something. I hope all is well with you too. :)