Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Its the most wonderful time of the year"

My next adventure in this Christmas season, is Christmas music. Everyone has their favorite that just has to be listened to and sang to. I love Christmas music and start listening to it as soon as reasonably possible without annoying everyone around me. There are 3 cds I don't think I will ever get tired of for misc. reasons. The first is Forgotten Carols by Michael McLean. When I was in high school a church leader of mine introduced the story to me. It is an amazing story that just gives me cold chills every time I hear it. The music is so powerful. I had the chance to see the show for the first time December 2000 and went to it every year there after until this year. They changed it in 2006 to a little different direction and in doing so, it kind of lost the heart of the show to me. Still when the music starts playing... wow.

Second, Hillary Weeks Christmastime. The very first song on the cd is the song the cd itself is named after. As I listen to it, I am reminded of Christmas past, and hope for Christmas present, and future. It also reminds me very much of my Grandma who passed away 4 years ago. Her favorite holiday was Christmas and so many things talked about in this song was my Grandma. It makes me miss her very much, but also appreciate Christmas from the past and help me look forward to the future. The rest of the cd is amazing also. Love it!

Third, Beach Boys Christmas. I know funny choice huh. Growing up my mom had a huge record player that also played 8 tracks and possibly even the radio. It was the coolest thing and I loved to have her play records on it. Well leading up to Christmas I don't know how many times that record was played. Very good memories are brought back when I turn on that cd and remember.
There are so many good Christmas songs out there, but if you get a chance I would completely recommend listening to at least a few of the songs on my list of cds.

2 comments:

Cardine said...

I've heard a couple of Beach Boys Christmas songs, and they're good.

Sometimes I wonder why they re-did "The Forgotten Carols." I mean, is it because people stopped going to it because they've all seen it? Why did they change it? I am just not curious enough to find out, I guess.

Emily said...

Beach boys...excellent. As to the Forgotten Carols, I think his son rewrote it. I don't believe people stopped going with the old one. I think it was kind of a tradition with a lot of people including my family up until this year. I miss my Forgotten Carols. :(